After another busy week in work I've fancied a change from level designing, so yesterday evening I started work on some music for the game.
Now I will be honest, I did start writing some music quite a few months ago and by that I mean the first 10 seconds of the title screen music, along with some place-holder notes for the 'get ready' screen so I knew that the music was being called/initiated and played correctly for the sequence of screens from the title screen, through the get ready screen to the game screen.
After yesterday's bout of composing, I have now refined my first 10 seconds of title screen music, modified my get ready music and added a (very) short piece for game over. The biggest addition though is a brand new piece that is currently around a minute long that I'm using for the in-game music.
Of course, all this music will be refined, extended or even deleted and composed again from scratch as time goes on. At present, I don't really want to aurally share the music in it's current state, but here is a screen dump of GoatTracker in action:
When being assembled, the code is loading the music to $0900, with the next block of memory being used by the charset at $2000. This gives me just under 6K of memory for music at the moment. Quite a bit!
I've decided that I may do short, simple repeating tunes so that each level has it's own music. To this end, I did dive into the code and add a short routine that can detect the level number then initialise and play a different tune for each level. Naturally, this code will be removed if I run short of memory in the future and only end up with one in-game tune.
I've written the first in-game tune with only 2 channels, keeping the third free. I'm toying with the idea of having some sound effects too in the future, maybe for jumping or energy depletion. Maybe...
Next diary entry...

No comments:
Post a Comment