Off the back of sorting the cross locations for Level 2 yesterday, the evening saw the beginnings of me tentatively designing Level 4. As stated in a previous blog entry (see here), I never intended to have levels set in exterior and internal locations alternatively, but since I've seemed to set off down this path, it shall continue!
Thus, after Level 3 being set outside, we're back indoors for Level 4 and most of today has been spent creating the inside of a haunted house! This gives me a chance to save some characters in the charset by reusing some used in level 2, as well as adding new chars specifically designed for this level. I need to do this after blowing five chars on the rain in Level 3!
New chars and features for this level include a wooden staircase that can be used to reach higher platforms, a stone fireplace (so as to reuse the animating flame char from Level 2) and a rather ominous looking rope and noose!
Since this is now Level 4, I'm assuming the player is getting better at the game, so platforms in this level are deliberately further apart to make them harder to cross, with gaps below that the player falls down if the jump is 'missed'. Along with avoiding the planned to be fast moving enemies, this level should be the toughest so far. I hope!
What does the level look like? On this occasion, I've done a time-lapse animation showing the build up over the course of the day it took to design. Of course, things will probably change as the enemies and crosses are plonked into place and the level tested.
Next diary entry...

No comments:
Post a Comment