I still need to calculate coordinate locations for crosses on many levels and seem to be putting this off at the moment, mainly down to the fact I find it rather boring...
However, I'm putting this task off by actually tweaking and/or adding code to other sections! Honest!
The girl finally became 'properly' selectable/playable the other day and until now has shared characteristics with the boy. But no longer! I've altered certain variables so that when the girl or boy are selected they handle slightly differently.
The boy is slightly 'stronger' than the girl - he can be in contact with enemies or dangerous parts of the scenery for just a few milliseconds longer before experiencing an energy drain.
The girl is slightly 'lighter' than the boy - although she can jump no higher, she can stay in the air just a few milliseconds longer than the boy, making it a tiny bit easier to successfully make the longer jumps between platforms on some levels.
Those differences above are only subtle, but does give the player some choice as to how to play - do you choose easier jumps or more strength? No doubt the variables will be altered further once play testers get their hands on the game and maul my efforts to death, but it will be easy for me to change in the code now since it's all handled by a couple of labels.
I've also finally got round to moving my screen splits slightly to accommodate the fact that on two of the levels (Level 3 - The Apartments and Level 7 - The Park, if you're interested!) I've used a blue background.
I wanted to 'extend' the blue sky background into the upper border, an easy task since the top border is open, but not-to-hot looking because the split was in the wrong place, therefore the blue colour 'bled' too far down the screen. Also, the blue was appearing on levels where the background and top border should have been black.
It was simple fix in the end - the two levels needing a blue top border set a flag telling my top border split to colour itself blue, otherwise colour itself black. The result on Level 3 looks like this...
Next diary entry...

No comments:
Post a Comment